Monday 1 December 2014

1/12/14

Saturday was another traumatic day.  You will remember how pleased I was that Ron had been moved to Herts & Essex where everything is clean, shiny and state of the art so I was looking forward to visiting him on Saturday but he was not in the ward where I had left him the previous night and a nurse took me to where he was, she explained that they had moved him nearer the nurses station as he had fallen out of his chair while reaching for something and had banged his head. Consequently he was put on 15 min obs.   As soon as I entered his room I could see that he was distressed and he told me that he had fallen and his his head on the leg of the bed.  As I have explained before it is difficult for Ron to maintain his balance and leaning too far to his good side his bad side had pushed him over.  A lesson learnt.  Fortunately Suzanne came to visit that afternoon and was able to diffuse the tension.

When the night shift came on they were unhappy that no doctor had been called and they called the emergency doctor who was said to be arriving between 1 and 9 hours later (There is no doctor resident on this ward as it if for medically fit people only, there is a doctor 9-5 during the week).  Fortunately Ron does not seem to have suffered any lasting effects apart from a bruised head and painful side.  The nurse in charge of the night shift gave Ron a prolonged talking too (too prolonged in my opinion and that of Andrea who was there at the time) which I witnessed and succeeding in thoroughly frightening me when he mentioned the dangers of stroke victims banging their head.  We felt he implied Ron fell on purpose.  Incidentally the doctor arrived 17 hours later and diagnosed Ron with a water infection so more tablets!  I think this was probably caused by prolonged use of the catheter.

I was on pins on Sunday afternoon as I thought Ron may have lost his confidence about sitting out so I was pleased to see him sitting in his chair in his new joggers and he was back to his cheerful self.
At Ron's suggestion I recorded his first wearing for posterity.

I am being very well looked after by my family After evening visiting on Saturday Andrea took me to The Nags Head for dinner which made a nice change from my own cooking and on Sunday I went to Graham and Erica's for a lovely Sunday roast.

Today the physio should be assessing Ron and working out a programme for him,  I am expecting him to be tired out.   More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home