Friday 28 November 2014

26/27.11.14
Another day of ups and downs.   When I got up in the morning at my usual time 6.30ish, I ate my breakfast and then came over so tired I went back to bed and slept until 9.00.  When I got up I did not feel my usual self.  I was a bit spaced out and giddy so I decided not to drive but to get the bus.  I walked to the bus stop (28 mins) and it was a nice day and I enjoyed the walk.  When I arrived at the hospital Ron was all curtained up and he was trying to pass water.  His catheter was removed at 6 am and he had until 6.00 pm to pass water at which time they would re-catheterise him (at least they thought they would! They don’t know my husband as well as I do!)  Vince came to visit and towards the end of visiting time Ron said he wanted to pass water so Vince and I left and I returned to Sawbridgeworth with Vince.  At 6.15 we set out in the Defender to return to the hospital but only got around 100 yards when the fan belt went and we had to retrace our steps.  Fortunately Andrea and Vince live opposite a bus stop so it was back on the bus for me.
When I arrived at the hospital Suzanne, Ryan and Ron sat surrounded by bags waiting for an ambulance to take Ron to Herts and Essex, Cambridge ward. (Incidentally two pees completed)  So it’s another move and although we are glad he is well enough to move on to re-hab, it is unsettling going to a new place not knowing what it is like and having to get used to a fresh set of staff.  Parking should be much easier and visiting is 2.30-4.30 and 6.30-8.00.  This should be the last move before home so positive thinking is needed.

On 26th When I arrived for afternoon visiting Ron was in the wheelchair and he said he was already tired and aching but he had been waiting for physio since the morning, when they eventually arrived to take him to the gym,  I was invited to observe Ron’s physio – the gym in PAH is a bit of a letdown, a very small room,  really only suitable for one person at a time but they managed to squeeze in two patients on that day.  Consequently Ron was not able to use the adjustable bench for his bottom raises and had to do it out of his wheelchair – it was so hard for him to do and as a spectator you want to do it for them.   I don’t think that I realised before this that it is not just the arm and leg that don’t work but the whole of the left side.   Ron works so hard that he is left completely drained.  I think it was this experience plus the worry about the catheter which had affected me the next day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home